A lovely set of eight Coalport botanical porcelain dishes made in England, circa 1825, well painted with a bouquet of flowers in the center.
These beautiful plates feature hand-painted flower sprays and bouquets of tulips, roses, peonies and other flowers. The edge of each plate is rimmed with gold. A nice extra touch is the lightly impressed, unpainted flower blossoms in the plates’ borders (see images for details).
The plates are 9.6 inches in diameter, an ideal size.
$1,600 for the eight dishes
The Coalport porcelain manufactory (or Coalport China), was founded by John Rose in 1795, at Coalport, served by the Coalport Canal. Rose had trained at the Caughley porcelain manufactory in Shropshire and had been making pottery on his own account nearby at Jackfield, a mile upstream across the River Severn from Coalbrookdale, since about 1780. His rapid success enabled him to buy the Caughley manufactory in 1799, the Nantgarw porcelain manufactory in 1819 and the Swansea porcelain manufactory, with their repertory of moulds. He employed the talented William Billingsley, formerly at Nantgarw, as chief painter, and Billingsley’s chemist, Walker, who initiated at Coalport a maroon glaze and brought the Nantgarw technical recipes to Coalport.
We offer FREE shipping and 30 day returns.
Buyer Protection Guarantee: your purchase will arrive as described.
Questions? Contact us.