This Nailsea glass wedding bell was made in England, circa 1840. The blown glass is colored with pink and white marbling and is elegantly shaped. It has an exquisite chartreuse glass handle. The ringing of wedding bells is a tradition that traces back to Scotland. Bells were first rung in the churches of Scotland to announce newlyweds. The ringing bells spread the news of the marriage across long distances, so bells after a wedding let the whole area know that the couple was now happily married.
H 10.5 in. x Dm 5 in.
Excellent. The inner ringer is a 20th-century replacement.
Background of Nailsea glass
In 1788, John Robert Lucas built a glassworks at Nailsea. He picked Nailsea because of the plentiful supply of coal for the factory’s furnaces from local mines in the Nailsea Basin.