In the 58 years that we’ve been in business we have always looked to purchase the Church Gresley pattern. We have seen it in yellow and orange, but black is the rarest of the colors.
These four exquisite Coalport “Church Gresley” pattern dishes are decorated with black hexagonals, cornflower sprigs, and pink roses. The Church Gresley design is one of the outstanding patterns of the English Regency period.
$1800 for the four dishes
The Coalport porcelain manufactory was founded by John Rose in 1795. Rose had trained at the Caughley Porcelain manufactory in Shropshire and had been making his own pottery nearby at Jackfield circa 1780. His rapid success enabled him to buy the Caughley manufactory in 1799, the Nantgarw porcelain manufactory in 1819 and the Swansea Porcelain manufactory, with their repertory of molds. As chief painter, he employed the talented William Billingsley, formerly at Nantgarw, and Billingsley’s chemist, Walker, who initiated at Coalport a maroon glaze and brought the Nantgarw technical recipes to Coalport.