An early 19th century blue and white platter decorated in the neoclassical “Greek Pattern” made by Herculaneum in England, circa 1810.
The platter shows white figures on a cobalt blue ground. The center is decorated with flying horses drawing chariots and figures in classical dress. The border is decorated with a row of acanthus leaves and two rows of variations on the Greek Key design.
H 1.5 in. x W 21 in. x D 16.5 in.
The Herculaneum Pottery was based in Toxteth, Liverpool, England. The new company engaged about forty men from the Staffordshire Potteries. Between 1794 and 1841 the factory made creamware and pearlware pottery as well as bone china porcelain. The owners of the company christened the factory “Herculaneum”, after the ancient city in Campania, Italy that was destroyed together with Pompeii by the Vesuvius eruption of 79 CE.
The first productions of the English Herculaneum factory were printed earthenware, which was carefully potted, and of a somewhat deeper shade than that of Wedgwood. Many of the pieces were decorated with classical figures. The company did a good amount of trade with America. In 1800, the manufactory was considerably enlarged.
Read about Greek ware’s connection to the Grand Tour on our blog.
The National Museum Liverpool has a fine collection of Herculaneum ceramics.