A pair of antique blue and white Delft plates fully painted with a central tulip bulb and an overall pattern of flowers and leaves. The edge is painted with ochre colored slip.
Both dishes have the mark of “The Claw” made circa 1780.
This pair of plates would be a wonderful addition to any collection of antique Delft.
H 1 in. x Dm 9 in.
Excellent. Small edge frits invisibly restored.
$1,400 for the pair
The technique of making Delft was first described in writing by Gerrit Paape in “The Delft Pottery Maker” written in 1794, dedicated to Lambertus Sanderus, the owner of De Porceleyne Claeuw (The Porcelain Claw). Delft faience began in the 17th century. Much of the finest Delft was produced in the Dutch city of Delft. The Delft potters began to coat their pots completely in white tin glaze. They then began to cover the white tin-glaze with clear glaze, which gave depth to the fired surface and smoothness to cobalt blues. Over time they created a good resemblance to porcelain. By about 1650 the technical skills of the potters and painters were much improved, and Delft began its golden age.