A pair of large blue and white Delft chargers made by and with the mark of “The Claw” factory in the Netherlands in the 18th century, circa 1780. At the center of the charger is a beautiful hand-painted image of a vase overflowing with flowers. The vase is encircled by an inner border in the form of a necklace of deep blue cobalt “pearls.” Beyond that is a wide border painted with flower filled vases.
These chargers will work well in a contemporary or traditional home.
This pair is part of our large collection of blue and white Dutch Delft.
H 2.25 in. x Dm 14 in.
Excellent. Small edge chips invisibly restored.
The technique of making delft was first described in writing by Gerrit Paape in “The Delft Pottery Maker” written in 1794. Dedicated to Lambertus Sanderus, the owner of De Porceleyne Claeuw (The Porcelain Claw). Delft faience began in the 17th century. Much of the finest delft was produced in the Dutch city of Delft. The Delft potters began to coat their pots completely in white tin glaze. They then began to cover the white tin-glaze with clear glaze, which gave depth to the fired surface and smoothness to cobalt blues. Over time they created a good resemblance to porcelain. By about 1650 the technical skills of the potters and painters were much improved, and Delft began its golden age.
We offer FREE shipping and 30 day returns.
Buyer Protection Guarantee: your purchase will arrive as described.
Questions? Contact us.