A set of a dozen Davenport creamware dinner dishes, made circa 1800, with wonderful, cheerful, yellow borders enhanced with a black neoclassical design. Davenport was known for their dishes with beautiful painted borders in many colors. Yellow was the rarest of the colors.
Begun in the 1790’s by 1800 Davenport had become one of the leading English makers of creamware pottery painted with enamels. The factory made many wonderful designs in the rococo, chinoiserie, and neoclassical styles.
Patterns like these date from the last quarter of the eighteenth century into the first quarter of the nineteenth century. To make the yellow border Davenport used oxide of antimony yellow.
Diameter 9.75 inches
$2,700 for the 12 dishes
History of Davenport
In 1785, John Davenport began as a potter working with Thomas Wolfe of Stoke. In 1794, he acquired his own pottery at Longport and began producing cream-colored blue-printed earthenware. By September 1806 the quality of his porcelain wares was such that the Prince of Wales, later to become King George IV, ordered services of the finest and most valuable kinds. John retired in 1830 and his sons, William and Henry, carried on the firm.