Background of Caughley Porcelain
The Caughley or Salopian Porcelain Factory was established by Thomas Turner in the early 1770s.
Thomas Turner came from Worcester Porcelain, where, as an apprentice (possibly under Robert Hancock) in the mid-1760s, he learned the art of engraving on copper plates and transferring the designs to porcelain. These techniques were fully exploited at Caughley, where 80% of the wares were painted underglaze blue from copper plates.
The Caughley Porcelain Factory was operating commercially by 1775 when the first newspaper advertisements appeared.
Products included tea sets, muffin plates, butter tubs, mugs, mask jugs, egg cups and drainers, custard cups, pickle shells, eye baths, asparagus servers, and toy tea and table wares. The company ceased operation in 1799 when Turner sold the Caughley leases to the Coalport porcelain manufacturer John Rose.
We offer FREE shipping to the continental United States. For orders shipping outside the continental US, please email email@example.com for a shipping quote.
Buyer Protection Guarantee: your purchase will arrive as described.
Questions? Contact us.